Car accidents can leave injured victims in the hospital and out of work. Even with good insurance, you could be facing an uphill battle to get your medical bills and daily expenses paid. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you need to get in touch with a Conroe car accident attorney as soon as possible about your injury claim. Whether you were broadsided by a drunk driver or rear-ended by a distracted driver, a car accident attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve after a car accident.
U.S. Motor Vehicle Crashes by The Numbers
There were 6,064,000 police-reported crashes in the U.S. in 2014.
- 2,338,000 people were injured in U.S. motor vehicle crashes in 2014.
- In 2014, there were 29,989 fatal crashes in the U.S.
- 9,068 of those fatal crashes involved alcohol-impaired drivers.
- 32,675 people were killed in motor vehicle crashes in 2014.
- In 2014, 3,179 people were killed in crashes involving distracted drivers.
- An additional 431,000 people were injured in distracted driving accidents.
Each year on average, more than 10,000 people die in drunk driving crashes, and these wrecks are 100-percent preventable. When people make the choice to get behind the wheel after drinking, they’re putting the lives of everybody on the road at great risk for injury causing and potentially deadly crashes. Motorists are reminded that even one drink can be one drink too many, because buzzed driving is drunk driving too.
Five seconds is the average amount of time your eyes are off of the road while sending or receiving a text message. If you’re going 55 miles per hour, that’s the equivalent of driving the length of a football field blindfolded. Texting while driving and other forms of distracted driving have become a statewide and nationwide epidemic. Whether distractions are cognitive, manual, visual or a combination of all three, they take the driver’s attention away from the task of driving.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
- In 2014, 3,538 people were killed in crashes in the State of Texas.
- In 2014, 41 percent of car-crash fatalities in Texas involved drivers with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or higher.
- Speeding was a factor in 1,284 of the car-crash fatalities in Texas in 2014.
Driver Negligence in Car Accidents
Ultimately, most so-called car accidents aren’t actually ‘accidental’ at all. In the majority of cases, injury causing and fatal accidents in Conroe and around the nation are due to some type of driver error. Whether it was a case of distracted driving, drunk driving or simply not observing the rules of the road, it’s essential to determine exactly what factors contributed to your injury accident. Sometimes, it can take additional investigative efforts to determine if the other driver was acting negligently or dangerously behind the wheel. Not all cases of distracted driving are immediately apparent, so it’s essential speak with your lawyer as soon as possible about your case.
After a Car Accident
- Take care of your immediate medical needs.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the other insurance company.
- Take lots of photos.
- Refrain from getting back to your daily physical schedule until you’re fully healed.
- Don’t post accident details on social media.
- To know your rights, call a Conroe car accident attorney at the Scott Law Firm for a free consultation.
What About The Insurance Company?
If someone hits you, your claim is against the person that hit you. If that driver has liability insurance, then their insurance company has an obligation to defend their insured against claim. It’s important to understand that the insurance adjuster of the driver who hit you does not have any duty or obligation to you. They represent the other driver’s insurance company. They don’t have to be honest or fair with you. Their job is to try to pay out as little as possible on any and all claims against their insurance company. They’re not looking out for injured individuals, they’re looking out for the company’s bottom line.
Common Car Accident Injuries
- Internal injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Bruises and abrasions
- Back injuries
- Facial injuries
- Psychological injuries
When to Call a Conroe Car Accident Attorney
Anybody who has ever been in a car accident knows that it can turn your life upside down. If you were injured due to the dangerous, negligent or distracted actions of another driver, you’re entitled to be put back in the position you were in before it occurred. You may be entitled to compensation for past and future medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages and other damages associated with the injury. If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident in or around the Conroe area, contact the Scott Law Firm at 936-270-8100 for a free case consultation today.